Jeff woke me up on Friday night at about 1 am and said the neighbors house was on fire. I'd heard a lot of sirens in my half sleep, but they didn't sound right outside my house (I think I heard them coming from the station) and in my half asleep state, I was scared. I thought which neighbor? Do we need to get out of our house? When I got downstairs I could see flames glowing inside our neighbor's house directly across from us. It's so much scarier in person. I think we get desensitized by watching it on TV. I just felt sick to my stomach. I thought where are they, I don't see any people...it's some "kids" in their twenties that rent the house and I'm not even sure how many people actually live there (I know, we aren't very good neighbors). I just hoped they were all out and then I thought about all their "stuff". It's so sad. The forces of nature are so powerful. The firemen (all SEVEN trucks worth) had it out really fast after I woke up, but it still took about 2 hours for them to give the all clear. It really made us rethink our escape plan...we could see our previously designated meeting spot was basically buried in firemen and hoses and gear, so we'd better pick a new spot a little farther away. Also, it looked like the fire started in the kitchen and I wondered how does a kitchen fire get that out of hand? Didn't they have a fire extinguisher? Well we do, but we keep it in the cupboard above the microwave/oven combo...a kitchen fire will most likely start at the stove or oven. I don't think we will be able to reach over a burning oven to get the extinguisher, so we need to move that. Any way, they were all safe, but the house is unlivable for a while...it really gave us pause. I took a couple of pictures from inside our house and even that felt wrong, but here they are...
Monday, August 3, 2009
Made us think...
Posted by Jeff and Michele at 12:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
jonah told me this story on the way to the baptism on saturday. he said that you woke him and aiden up. i asked if it made him feel good that he is one of the kids you would save in case you had to evacuate! :)
Scary! Thanks for all the thoughts. It sounds like we need to have a fhe and go over all of our plans.
I am grateful that you shared this experience (sad that it had to happen) but it made me think about how prepared our family is incase of a fire. Where is my fire extinguisher?
Post a Comment